Saturday, July 19, 2008

New this week for The Standard!




This was a fun one to work on, but it had its challenges. For this one, same as last week, I had nearly two days to complete from start to finish. Drawing people is no problem, I can whip that out like nothing. For this piece, I did the sketch very quick, but wasn't quite happy with my first attempts at caricaturing the animals. I love drawing animals, but realized that it would have been better if I could have had more time for developing in the sketch stage. But under this kind quick turnaround, I had to just go for it. So I did most of my fixing and adjusting while in the painting stage. My final sketch changed dramatically, and the final result is much different. The other thing that I was trying to do is not draw the characters how I've seen them drawn so many other times . . . try to bring something new to the tabel. One thing for sure, the next time I have a go at something like this I'll be better prepared, I now know a few ways how "not" to do it!

12 Comments:

Blogger RAWLS said...

Thats awesome J!! I love the fine details like the hair. Great composition!!

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The drawing itself is without a doubt beautiul and stunningly executed. Yet I think that the concept could be communicated in a clearer way. I have to look twice now, to see that their mouths are tied up.
The most easy thing to do would be to give the ribbons a brighter, more striking color.
But then still, the composition could be better. Now the elephant is hidden behind the donkey, and maybe a knot in his trunk could be clearer to express him being shut up.

I hope you don't mind my comment. I love the drawing anyway....

11:04 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thanks guys, glad you dig it.

Wouter, I don't mind your comments at all. And I agree with you 100% It all seemed rushed, also I did what the a.d. was asking for. I like the idea of his trunk being tied up, wish I would have thought of that.
Thanks for the advice!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Kei Acedera said...

Awwww that's soo cute Jason! VEry funny!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very cool and nice change of subject!

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job, Jason! I know you have guidelines from your clients, but I have to agree with Wouter about the ribbons. Maybe for the democratic party a nice blue color and for the repulican party a little brighter red color. It almost looks a bit burgandy. Don't take it the wrong way. You are a super artist, and you did a wonderful job on the illustration. :)

5:40 PM  
Blogger Larry Seiler said...

how "NOT to do something" is a good major content of any good painter's teachings and personal way of painting.

Painting outdoors, for example... the novice sees and then paintings everything, the mature painter discriminates more concerned with what NOT to paint.

Always an important concept...teaches brevity, nails the essential...which you so very well do! That's what makes a great draftsman with their work...and the secret behind a lot of the genuis, unknown even to the artist himself who tends to process much intutively!!!

Keep it up...amazing stuff!!!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Larry Seiler said...

btw...that's a killer eye on that donkey!!!!!

9:03 AM  
Blogger arquebus said...

I would agree with Wouter's comments if that were the actual size of the painting. But this is a full page of a magazine, and I think in its context it is supposed to lead the reader into the article and not destract attention too much. I think if we could see it in its actual size we would see that it works well.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Thomas Fluharty said...

NICE- very cool approach donkeys and elephants very fun. Great job Bro~T

9:47 AM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

I love that - especially the donkey!
Great handling of the hair too. wow!

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners