Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Schoolism is worth it!

I'm about to start my 8Th semester teaching The Art of Caricature for Schoolism. I often get emails from people asking if they'll get anything out of the class, if it's worth it. So I wanted to share a little about my class at
Schoolism and what it's all about.

It is a course on caricature, but more than that, it's a course about developing yourself as an artist. Pushing yourself and taking chances. I teach how to see people differently. Caricature is not about picking out one or two features on a person's face and then blowing them out of the water with your "mad" exaggeration skills! It can be so much more than that, and it's more enjoyable when it is. What I'm after and what I teach is to capture personality, character, and the essence of a person.

When I draw people, I'm not trying to be "funny". I don't focused on what I "should" or "could" do to be super funny. If I capture the person's essence, and even if the exaggeration is minimal, it will be funny, because the truth was captured, or enhanced. Hence the title of my blog, "It's Funny Because it's True". Of course I throw humor in there, but it's like cooking, just a little seasoning here and there so that the meal as a "whole" is delicious!

In my course I cover everything from exaggeration while keeping likeness, to structure, form, anatomy, cross hatching and other drawing techniques, values and color techniques, painting and much, much more! Near the end of the course I explain my process for drawing people in any environment or position that an art director could muster up. The students finish a piece that they can use for promotion, a nice piece of art that they can hopefully grab the attention of art directors with.

I've taken on students who could barely draw and by the end of the course they were doing better work than is seen in most publications out there . . . no joke! This is why I continue to teach for
Schoolism.
On the other hand there have also been a few students who were pretty good, but had poor work habits and or thought they were too good to listen to my advice (why they signed up, who knows?). And they failed miserably.

If you really want to learn, and if you're willing to work hard and push yourself as an artist, you will finish the course a more confident and equipped artist! I don't play around, I tell you how it is, but mostly I care about you and your art and want to help you reach your goals!

The only thing standing in the way of reaching your goals artistically is you!


Here's a little something written by a previous student of mine,
Torren Thomas.
When I first saw Torren's work on the first assignment, I knew there was talent, but more than that, Torren had the ambition and passion to grow and achieve his goals! Torren worked very hard, and did some great work throughout the course!



"Since i started my blog and website I've had a few people ask me how much i benefited as an artist from taking classes through the schoolism.com online courses. though i always sing the praises of school whenever i am asked, i think its easier to show you than it is to tell you. As i stated in a earlier post I'm currently working on a few paintings that may or may not end up hanging in Antonio's Pizzeria, the new restaurant a friend is involved in. one of the signature sandwiches on their menu is the" Tony Soprano" and since I am a huge fan of that show i thought he was good person to start with. Well how does that fit with Schoolism? I'll tell you. while working on this piece i came across an old painting i did of Tony Soprano in summer 2007. i think you can see the differences between the two. So for anybody that is on the fence about signing up for a schoolism course, DO IT. It is some of the best money you will ever spend."
-Torren Thomas







Tony Soprano before The Art of Caricature at
Schoolism.com





Tony Soprano after The Art of Caricature at
Schoolism.com


If interested in, or want more info, visit
Schoolism.com
Click
here
to see a sample critique from one of my past semesters.

My next course starts on October 9Th, spaces are filling up, sign up today!




14 Comments:

Blogger Tim Bye said...

I'll second that! My work and confidence grew loads from doing this course!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Lash LeRoux said...

As soon as I started reading your post, Jason, I thought of Torren. I had read this post previously on his blog, and I have to agree that you could not ask for a better testimonial than his. The visual difference and maturity of his work is stunning and overwhelming. It has sold me on the class, and I hope to be able to take the course in the immediate future.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

WOW! it looks like two different artists did those! Great post.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Eric Braddock said...

Some really awesome stuff, man. Loved the crit video you posted.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Thomas Fluharty said...

EXCELLENT POST MY BROTHER...great work Torren
the whole thing rocks I especialyl love the shirt and tie. HOME RUN~T

1:44 PM  
Blogger ian said...

that is an incredible difference and a perfect endorsement for your class. I hope to be able to take it in the near future.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man I want to take that course SOOOO bad. (feverishly searches pockets and couch cushions for money)

Nope... still can't afford it.

Incredible work Jason! I will remain jealous for now.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Mack said...

I would gladly join your class today if I could pay you for it Wednesday. Seriously though the second i have the cash i will sign up for your class in a heart beat!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Will Appledorn said...

makes me wish i had $1000!


those two pics by torren really do sell it.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Damion009 said...

dude! i feel every thing you said man! you view on caricatures is much like my own. and yes you have come a long long way!!! lol!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

My biggest goal with my art is to be respected amongst the artists i respect. It's not money. I saw Torren's work a while ago and knew he would get "that respect". This makes me want to work harder.This makes me review my own techniques and my desire to want to improve. This post helps me see what is possible.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Aaron Hartline said...

Just stumbled across your blog Jason -- glad I did, very inspiring work. I started out as a illustrator that got side tracked by animation. No regrets -- but whenever I see inspiring work like yours -- makes me wonder 'What if?'

I got accepted at the Chicago Academy of Art - but ended up down the street at Columbia College taking Animation.

I live, breath, eat animation. But Im seriously looking at your art and thinking 'should I take schoolism so I can illustrate again?'

8:32 PM  
Blogger A. Riabovitchev said...

You did a great job Jason!Concgrats!:o)

9:40 AM  
Blogger pallartco said...

Good caricature men, please visit my sopranos caricature!
http://www.pallartco.com/2009/02/caricaturas-3d.html

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners